Thursday 7 October 2010

The Sydney Opera House in 81 Seconds

I love the short ferry ride that takes me into the city. No matter the weather, time or season there is always something to see, something new to appreciate.

On October 2nd, 2010 as I daydreamed during the rainy, darkening trip my eyes were focussing on the raindrops collecting on the ferry's windows. I was lost deep in random thoughts that were probably inspired by the haphazardly positioned droplets. Each journey takes a very similar path past the Opera House and while it is always familiar it is never the same. It was that familiar shape that bought me round, prompted me to get my camera out of my pocket and make a few pictures as the ferry moved past. A mere 81 seconds.


The Sydney Opera House in 81 seconds - Images by Paul Foley

The Opera House occupies land that had been chosen for Sydney's first white settlers in 1788. More importantly, it's also on land owned and honoured for at least 40,000 years by Australia's Indigenous People. The House is a place of memories - of music, theatre, meals, enjoyment, sunsets and people from all over the world. Its shells are said to be derived from the shape of a sphere that has been sectioned, opened out and then laid down across Bennelong Point. It is one of my favourite places in Sydney and I am always in awe of it's design, style and presence.

Please click on the full screen icon for a larger view. Personally made and signed prints can be purchased at a special price until November 30, 2010. Just click on the picture you like and then the 'Buy Image' button.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? Comments? Please get in touch.