Wednesday 6 April 2011

Be yourself...


I have been putting together video portraits and thought I would show you a few. Whether the changes between frames are subtle or exaggerated, when they are linked together, I love how I can discover more of a person's character and personality than might be present in a single frame still picture.

Over the years I have photographed a number of people and presented the pictures in what I call 'segments'. These are like proof sheets and feature a range of expressions captured on the fly over a short period of time.

These 'movies' are a natural progression that lend themselves to display in digital photoframes, on flat screens as well as phones and ipads. Add a favourite song or piece of music and it's a whole new way to show off family and loved ones. Even yourself!

The first one features my friend Summer Finlay who, you may remember, is the subject of my picture that was selected to hang in this years National Photographic Portrait Prize.


Summer (Music: Love Potion by Quazimodo Sound Consortium)

For Summer I set up a large soft light very close to her face just off to camera left. I had her stand against a light coloured wall and asked her to look into the camera. The only other instruction was to hold her head in place. I just made pictures as her expression changed (no doubt while she wondered what I was on about!)

The second video was made from out takes of a shoot from several years ago. I had been asked to photograph Max Cullen who is a widely talented Australian actor, artist and writer.


Max (Music: 'Whatever it takes' by Ben Lee. Purchase on iTunes)

For these pictures I had Max sit on a stool in his studio (an old picture theatre in Gunning, NSW). The only light hitting his face was through a large doorway while the studio was lit by the house lights.

It was Max's idea to provide me with a range of facial expressions and I just went along for the ride. And what a very enjoyable ride it was!

The last short but sweet video is of Isabella. As with any young, adventurous child there was no chance of having her stop in the one position! The session became a dance between the two of us as I tried to keep up with the ball of energy bouncing across the grass.


Isabella

I hope you'll let me know what you think and pass the link to this story around...


Below are the three 'proof' sheets for each of the videos.


Be yourself - Images by Paul Foley


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? Comments? Please get in touch.