Thursday 21 April 2011

To prove a moment happened.


On a visit to British Columbia on Canada's beautiful west coast I came across a thundering river cascading over smooth, ageless boulders. I followed it upstream for a while until at one point it took a sharp right angled turn. In the noise and violence of so much water forcing itself through a dark, narrow gorge the river settled momentarily in a churning, frothing and sunlit pool.

Mesmerised by the new patterns and textures being created every millisecond, it took me a while to remember that I had my camera. I chose a very fast shutter speed to freeze a few of those moments - if only to prove they had indeed happened. Before long they had melded into a lost but not wasted hour.


To prove a moment happened - Images by Paul Foley

I have recently made some prints on Canson's beautiful Baryta Photographique paper. Using it reminds me of my early B&W printing days. The standard fibre papers of that time came out 'not quite gloss' and were then run through a 'glazer' for a full gloss finish. Baryta is modern version of that 'not quite gloss' effect.

These wet texture pictures, when printed large, relive those silent frozen iotas I experienced in the thundering noise of that Canadian gorge.

The B&W baryta prints show every shade from white through to deep black while the colour versions have subtle bluish tones. To purchase a moment just click on your favourite. The prints live their own life with more contrast, tonal range and beauty than can be shown on a monitor.

Enjoy!

Camera/Exposure Details:
Canon 5D II with EF 70-200 f2.8 IS USM lens @ 200mm
F4.5, 1/8000th of a second @ 400 iso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? Comments? Please get in touch.