Friday 26 April 2013

Breakout

You never know when you'll find a picture. Life is an ongoing surprise and being ready for those unexpected moments provides a photographer the greatest of joys and sources of inspiration.

I had originally gone to this place above the shoreline at Gerringong in NSW, Australia, to photograph the raging storm surf. It was so big and dangerous that I hadn't expected any surfers to paddle out. Yet two had and I had already made a good picture of a lone surfer standing on the edge of the rock shelf while a huge wave broke in the bay. It was getting colder, showers of rain were drifting in from the south and I could have easily walked back to the warmth of the car and headed home.

Looking to the west, though, I could see there was a chance that the sun might break out from behind the clouds at some time before it set. So I waited on the cliff top for an hour or two as nature teased me with the possibility of another picture.




The wait was worth it because the clouds did crack open in just the right place, at just the right time allowing the sun to cast its striking rays through the thick, wet air. While the light show was awesome, unfortunately, the sky remained mostly grey with only a faint and sparse light yellow tint.

Back in the day I would put a yellow filter on the lens and, with about half a stop of under exposure, the Kodachrome would be processed with a orange / yellow cast. These days, Lightroom is my Kodachrome (and Fujichrome) and I was able to realise my vision of a burnt orange sunset while processing the raw files.

Just like photographers all over I had an idea, the time - and timing. Not to mention patience and some protection from the occasional showers. I had pre visualised the picture I wanted to make but knew I still needed to be ready if the sun broke through. Hanging around hoping provided a brilliant bonus.

My advice for finding pictures is based, in part, on Ansel Adams' philosophy:
  • Visualise the picture you want to make 
  • Get into position before the light arrives and accept that it won't always turn up
  • Know your equipment and how to quickly adjust exposure, ISO and focus because if the scene you hoped for doesn't eventuate you need to be ready for the 'surprise'
  • and, just as Mr Adams understood and taught, pressing the shutter button is only part of the process - a lot goes on before and after to make a good photograph.
'In my mind's eye, I visualize how a particular... sight and feeling will appear on a print. If it excites me, there is a good chance it will make a good photograph. It is an intuitive sense, an ability that comes from a lot of practice. '
Ansel Adams

Most importantly, though, if you really want to find pictures you must get out there and look. And wait.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? Comments? Please get in touch.